Surprise Attack Games
Based in Melbourne, Australia
6 May, 2015
Vertiginous Golf is a dystopian steam punk mini golf adventure game set in the skies above an alternate world where life on the ground is enveloped in permanent smog, constant darkness and never-ending rain. After suffering on the ground under a haze smog and pollution, the people of Scudburough have been split in half by a lottery, with the winners heading up into the clouds to live in a floating city called New Lun-Donne. For those left below, they can get a temporary escape from the gloom through the Verti-Sphere, a device that allows them to rise virtually into the cloudy paradise to play mini golf on challenging obstacle courses floating in the sky. But something is amiss in this nation of two cities. Another voice is trying to break through the propaganda messages of peace and prosperity… the voice of an insurrection. In development for two years with 14 months of that in Steam Early Access, Vertiginous Golf is a game that defies expectations and has a scope that belies the relatively tiny development team. It includes close to 100 challenging holes across Story, Classic and Developer courses as well as local and online multiplayer, a fully-fledged course creator and extensive customisation options for the player’s avatar, clubs and their mechanical hummingbird companion.
Kinelco & Lone Elk Creative - Developers: Kinelco is an independent games studio that's been developing for PC, web and mobile for 15 years. Working closely with its sister company Lone Elk Creative, which focuses on game design, art and animation, the two companies developed their own gaming site mohsye.com. They've since gone on to create successful browser titles published on Shockwave.com, Addicting Games and Miniclip, plus a series of self-published iOS games.
- Dystopian Steam Punk Mini Golf: Chip and putt your way through beautiful golf courses floating far above the smog-covered streets below. Play through the unique story mode courses to uncover the mystery of the Verti-sphere. Enjoy 54 classic holes ranging from simple miniputt to mind-bending courses that will test even the most skilled golfers, as well a driving range and race challenges.
- Local and Online Multiplayer: Enjoy a leisurely round in the sky with up to three friends. Race each other to the finish on the race tracks or fight over control of the holes in the unique battle golf arenas whilst using a variety of offensive weapons to disrupt your opponents.
- Golf as you've never seen it before: Take on these insane obstacle courses filled with hazards and contraptions. Look through its eyes to explore and unlock the secrets of the green. Use the jewel encrusted beetle to control your ball once it’s in motion and make good use of your limited rewind power to redeem yourself from a bad shot.
- Get Creative: Design your own fiendish courses in the map editor and share with the community. Tinker for hours with the look of your clubs, hummingbird and avatar in Frolich's Emporium.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Narrative Dev Diary YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Honorable Mention - Best In Play" GDC Play, 2014
- "“A dystopian steampunk golf game. PERRRRRR-DOOIIIIIIIINNGGG! My heart’s back up where it belongs!."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I think it's safe to say that Vertiginous Golf is one of the most unique mini-golf titles I've ever played, and its steampunk setting is the real capper to such an off-the-wall and rich concept. I'm quite fond of its approach to narrative within a mini-golf game."
- Alessandro Fillari, Destructoid
- "Its puzzling, challenging, and deeply weird characteristics make for a unique and engaging experience that brings new life to the staidest of sports"
- Brett Todd, Gamespot
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Surprise Attack Games
Surprise Attack Games is an Australian indie games label, working with amazing creators to bring remarkable games to discerning players worldwide.
More information on Surprise Attack Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Vertiginous Golf Credits
Designer, Lone Elk Creative
Managing Director, Surprise Attack Games
Business Development Manager, Surprise Attack Games
Community Manager, Surprise Attack Games
Finance Manager, Surprise Attack Games
PR Manager, Surprise Attack Games
Director, Surprise Attack Games
Chairman, Surprise Attack Games